Automotive Technician Training Program
- START DATE: 3/20/2023
- END DATE: 07/27/2023
- SCHEDULE: 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM; Monday through Thursday (20 hours per week)
- PROGRAM LENGTH: 18 weeks
The Automotive Technician program (AMTECH) is a free, 18-week training program that prepares participants for in-demand careers as Automotive Technicians. Training includes 350 hours of education delivered through a 50/50 lecture/lab format and a 35-hour internship where participants will be working with a local automotive shops and dealerships to gain hands-on experience in the field. Upon completion, students will be awarded certificates in all relevant areas of study, as well as 28 college credits. This extensive, free training program was designed collaboratively by New England Institute of Technology and the Rhode Island Automobile Dealers Association with the end goal of ensuring graduates have the skills and experience to be job-ready upon completion.
The training includes the following areas of study:
- Introduction to Automotive (70 hours)
- Braking, Steering and Suspension Systems (140 hours)
- Basic Electricity and Electronics (70 hours)
- Automotive Scanner Use (20 hours)
- Rhode Island Resident
- Unemployed or Underemployed
- Motivated to learn and work
- Must be 18 years old.
- High School Graduate or GED preferred, but not required
- Ability to commit to 18 weeks of training
- Physical Strength & Dexterity required
- Must be comfortable lifting, bending, crouching, using tools, and making measurements.
- Mechanically Inclined / Experience with hand & power tools preferred, but not required
- Able to pass pre-employment Drug and Background Checks
- Desire to work in the Automotive Industry
- Ready to enter the workforce upon completion of training