Introduction to Biotechnology & Developing Lab Skills (Virtual Training Program)
Next Enrollment: Starts January 1, 2022
Cost: Free to Eligible Rhode Islanders
Location: Virtual/online course
Get started on the path to a rewarding, future-proof career in
biotechnology, a fast-growing field with exciting therapeutic
breakthroughs. Our virtual courses let you learn at your own pace, and
involve both instruction and simulation in a gaming type environment.
Whether you’re displaced due to COVID-19, a returning veteran, want to upskill for a better career, or a student interested in exploring the future, this course will get you started on the path to science and a rewarding, future-proof career. And it’s not just for science nerds – biotechnology offers many different opportunities to make a positive difference in the world around you through science and innovation. The work is fascinating and potentially life-saving.
Course One: Introduction to Biotechnology
Delves into current trends in biotechnology spanning pharmaceutical, antibiotic and vaccine development. 6 class modules, typically takes 10 hours to complete.
Course Two: Developing Lab Skills – (for Intro to Biotechnology graduates)
Develop important lab basics that are sought-after by employers such as micropipetting, buffering solutions and basic genetic engineering. 8 modules, typically takes 6 hours to complete.
To receive your certificates of completion, you must complete all modules in each course by May 1, 2022. Certificates will be distributed electronically via the Thinkific platform.
- Rapidly growing field with constant breakthroughs.
- Nearly 500 bioscience companies in RI & need for skilled professionals rising.
- Entry level salaries range from $37-40k, with an average annual wage of $92,000.
- Learn sought-after skills and gain a competitive advantage.
- Open doors to a good, family-sustaining career.
- Make connections to employers looking for talent in STEM fields.
- Resume, Interview and Career Coaching from SkillsRI Career Services staff.
- Job Search Assistance from SkillsRI Recruiters.
- Must be a Rhode Island resident.
- Over 18+ years old.
- High School graduate.
- Interest in science, technology, engineering & math (STEM).
- Access to a computer and internet connection.
- Must take Intro to Biotech course in order to take Developing Lab Skills.
- Currently unemployed and/or under-employed with a desire to re-enter the workforce.